Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Neighborhood Hirakata


Hirakata is a very residential place. Houses as far as the eye can see, or at least that's been my impression walking to and from campus each day. Sure, there's the university (and the Komatsu plant, and probably a ton of other stuff I haven't seen yet) but I like residential Hirakata. I love the houses, the statues and trees in the tiny parks, plants that line the street, and the pretty decorated manhole covers. One thing I don't like, however, is how narrow some of the streets are. This is something that normally wouldn't bother me, but add motorcylists and cars to the mix and it can be a treacherous path for a walker at times.



On my 2nd weekend here, I had a encounter with some of the locals. It was evening, and I was walking back from the grocery store. A middle aged couple turned a corner and ended up walking a short ways in front of me. I thought nothing of it, until I noticed the woman had been glancing back at me. The woman kept looking back at me, until they slowed down cause they wanted to talk. They asked me if I was American, and the man asked if I was from California. I said (in Japanese, these people didn't speak a word of english) that I used to live there but now I lived in NY (which is indeed true). They also asked me if I was good at Japanese, to which I replied "ehhh, chotto... ( a little...)" The woman gave me a candy, and then they said "bye bye!" (towards the end the guy started saying other stuff, but I couldn't understand cause he was talking too fast. I just giggled awkwardly, and he asked 'wakaranai'? [you don't understand?] a few times.) I'm disappointed I couldn't converse a bit better, but they kind of caught me by surprise as I was zoning out while walking back to my seminar house. Oh well. Very nice little encounter, but random. Guess I'm just not used to friendly strangers.

2 comments:

visual gonthros said...

It's nice to hear about friendly encounters between Gaidai neighborhood people and students. I hope your encounter makes you want to improve your Japanese and anthropological skills. These kind of encounters don't have to be so random or strange. We can learn a lot from the people who live here. Perhaps narrow streets serve the purpose of people having to interact more... You are on your way building networks...

ktboychuk said...

I think the purpose of the narrow streets is to provide more space for building homes!

I love how there are mirrors to see around the sharp corners. I don't think I would/could ever drive in Japan! >.<