Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Japan: First Impressions



First Impressions? Well, one difference I immediately noticed about Japan (vs the U.S.) is how obscenely clean everything is. Seriously, I felt like I could practically eat off of the floors of the trains (not a good idea, but still...) Anyway, things here feel more compacted and less spread out. Which is pretty much expected, considering the size of the country isn't anywhere near as big as what I'm used to. Still, I find it charming. At home, if you want to get around, a car is pretty much required. Here, a bike is required, but you could hoof it if you have the time and energy. Also, the train system (which I haven't figured out yet...) is convenient to have access to.

I also like how some of the bigger houses in the residential neighborhoods of Hirakata have pretty gardens and traditional style wooden gates. Some houses are just really pretty, I already have a few favorites along the route I walk to the Kansai Gaidai campus.

All of this can be summed up in one sentence: I don't really know what to make of Japan...yet. There are a lot of nice little (and some bigger) differences I have noticed thus far, but I'm not sure what to think. I still wake up in the mornings and have to remember where I am.

On a lighter note, I was surprised that Japanese McDonalds is better than it is in the states. I do not eat fast food in the states (think it's gross), but after being almost forced to eat it here, I was pleasantly surprised that it was...okay. Not disgusting! Anyway, I found these Japanese McDonald's Ads and thought I'd share. They're extremely creepy, but that's why it's funny.

1 comment:

visual gonthros said...

You have some interesting early observations - it will be interesting to see how they change throughout the course of the semester. For example I am sure you will encounter the dirty side to Japan as well. (Just last night we were enjoying our fish and sake at an izakaya when a cockroach crawled over the plate...)

Why are you being forced to eat at McDonalds?

How are you using your photos in relation to your text? What are the photos of?

You are off to a good start. Keep exploring...

p.s. Please enable anonymous comments.