Friday, November 21, 2008

Religion


I think its interesting how much Buddhism and Shinto overlap in Japan. Having (or following) 2 religions is okay here, something I'm not used to people being okay with...

In a statistic that was mentioned in class, a huge percentage of Japanese people do not consider themselves religious. I thought this was odd, considering religion is one of the things about Japanese society that I find is extremely visible. Shrines and temples are littered everywhere across the landscape (especially in this area, being so close to Kyoto), and it's not hard to find traces of Buddhist or Shinto thought in everyday life in Japan. So what's the deal? Are Japanese people really not all that religious, given how carefree and non-strict the attitude that most Japanese have when it comes to religion (esp. compared to the west and it's religions)? Or are Japanese people SO religious that religion is just an expected part of everyday life? For example, religion is so far ingrained into Japanese society that a simple ritual or religious tradition is something you just DO?

This is an question that I've been pondering. Western religions and their integration in society are a huge contrast to what I've experienced in Japan thus far. Visiting temples and shrines is one of my favorite things to do here, but I have yet to find a concrete answer. I probably never will.

2 comments:

visual gonthros said...

You have some interesting ponderings. Please don't give up! What can you do to help find your answers?

Are both pictures at Todaiji in Nara? I especially like the second photo.

paydaypebbles-japan said...

Don't worry, I haven't given up...yet. Haha. The first photo is, as you guessed, Todaiji. The second one is from Fushimi Inari in Kyoto. I've been there several times, it's my favorite place in Japan so far.