Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Traditional Japanese Culture


Just as pop culture is nigh impossible to avoid in Japanese, the same can be said for traditional culture. It can be in-your-face, or very subtle. For me, the traditional aspects that stand out the most are architecture and food.





I love traditional Japanese architecture. One of the best places I've found to see some examples of this are the various shrines and temples that are scattered across Kyoto. Tori gates, stone lanterns, intricate carvings, bright paint colors, and large buildings with curved rooftops that are made entirely of wood are only some of the things that come to mind. The natural surroundings are also often pruned and manicured to look neat and clean. The overall effect is beautiful and calming. The above photos were taken at Fushimi Inari in Kyoto.




Food is another one of my favorite aspects of traditional Japanese culture. Noodles, in particular. I am a huge fan of udon. I am also a huge fan of sushi, nigiri zushi in particular. These are traditional foods, of course, but it's not just the food itself that contains culture. The presentation is part of the meal, and I've found the presentation of food in Japan is just as much of a part of the food culture as the taste. Arranged just so, perfection in presentation makes for a feast of the eyes as well as the mouth.



No comments: